Monday, June 22, 2009

RAGNAR

About a year ago my cute sister-in-law, Kristen ran Ragnar (a relay from Logan to Park City, 187.7 miles!) She said it was the funnest most horrible thing she had ever done. You have a team of 12 people split into two vans of 6. Each person does three legs of various distances. So she talked me & Kyle into doing it with her and Kyle's brother Chad. We started training in about February. About a month before the race one of the couples had to drop out. We had to franticly think of 2 more people that had been running that could fill their place. Kyle called his friend Casey and I called my friend Kiley. Luckily they both agreed (crazy fools)! So It was set! Me, Kyle, Kristen, Chad, Casey and Kiley made up Van #1. We got to Logan Friday morning about 6:30. Kyle was our first runner. He started at 7:40am. We all ran our guts out! Up hills, off road, in the heat. We slept about a total of 3 hours, lived on Gatorade and Power Bars, laughed our butts off at the stupidest things that I'm certain nobody else would ever find funny and finally we made it 187.7 miles to Park City around 2:15pm Saturday afternoon. 30 hours and 19 minutes! I'm going to have to agree with Kristen "It was the funnest, most horrible thing I've ever done!" But heres the crazy part......I WILL totally do it again. And I think it's safe to say that everyone in our van would do it too. Everyone seriously did such an awesome job. Each person ran anywhere from 13 to 20 miles! It was a crazy weekend, but one of the funnest things ever! Casey & Kiley Thank you! You are both ROCK STARS!! And Chad & Kristen thanks so much for putting it all together! There was a lot of time and preparation on their part and we couldn't have done it with out them! Kyle & I both loved every minute ( even the puking in the porta potties, injured knee, dry heaving, & stinky colbalt blue van) You learn a lot about some one when you spend 2 days with no sleep in a van....and we still love them all, maybe even more......I just wonder if they can all say the same for us...ha ha! It is an awesome feeling to accomplish such a huge goal, now we just need to start training for next year!





11 comments:

Braden said...

WOW! that's awesome that you ran that far! i'm running my first 5k sat. tha'd be nothing for you guys! and camping is fun:) dax can't wait to play with kyson.

D'N K said...

Holy cow that is so crazy!! When I'm done having this baby I'm totally calling you. I want to be able to run like that. Wow congrats!!

Amy said...

That is seriously amazing! I honestly don't think I can even run one mile...Way to go! Your poor mom probably didn't get to listen much sitting behind us at church...she was so cute with Maycee:)

Kiley said...

Thanks for the fun. I have to agree it was the funnest most horrible experience but I would do it again in a heart beat. I promise I will never tell Casey again that he has a "mangina".

lhhadley said...

WOW Ceryl and Kyle! I am impressed! That is awesome. Marnae did the race too and thought it was crazy but great also.

Love all the catch-ups pics. School, graduation, memorial day...cute. Love the aprons too!

We do need to get together again. Call us anytime.

Candis said...

Glad you guys had fun. Thanks for taking Casey:)

Candis said...

Thanks Kyle, Cheryl, Chad, Kristen, and Kiley. That was the funnest most miserable time I've had in a while. Thanks for taking back the "mangina" comment.

Casey

twice as nice said...

Hi van #1!! rock out .........
good times I say good times!
Thanks, it was totally fun! Maybe next year?????

Dave n Bre plus thr3e! :o) said...

Holy cow!! Just reading about it makes me tired. I'm impressed! Sounds like you had a lot of fun too.
And I love your cute little teachers aprons. Way fun!

Braden said...

hey do you want to do kangaroo court for the kids at bear lake? my mom said they've turned it over to us. i'll email stacie too...i'll bring some construction paper. should we do treats?

Karie Coats said...

I've always wanted to do that race!!! Thats awesome!!! Maybe nexy year....